5 Tips to staying fit while traveling in Paris:
Its very hard to find a quality gym in Paris to do a work out. If you do choose to do some “Musculation” as they call it it will cost you up to $29 Euro’s for a drop in. Not cheap! Or you can try to do one in your tiny apartment or hotel but who wants to be inside when the scenery is so amazing. Its all about the outdoor workout!
In Paris, France people Run or do lots of outdoor workouts while others are socializing with lots of wine and cheese and French bread and smoking cigarettes along the the Seine River. Its easy to indulge while in Paris but there is lots you can do to stay fit and mobile while traveling.
Here are some things I did to stay fit and make my routine exciting!
1) Play Tennis in front of the Eiffel Tower during Roland Garros– French Open. Well, this was pretty epic location, but if you sign up at the right time, they will provide you a free slot, racquets and shoes to play. I lucked out! Just happen to be able to play on a real practice clay court in front of the Eiffel tower while the large crowd watched Serena Williams play live.
If you can get on a court to play -Might as well take a visit to see the Pro tennis players live at the Roland Garros Courts, easy access by metro. Watching Nadal and Djokovic and Murray play live was pretty amazing inside the stadium. #rg15 #nadal #djokovic #rolandgarros
2) Walk the streets for hours on end sight seeing (Eiffel Tower, The Louvre, Notre Dame and Sacre Coeur in comfortable shoes). Walking is a great way to get the lymphatic system working, its fun and easy. I walked for 8 hours on most days with breaks to fuel up on the finest pastries coffee and complete meals. Walking was great for burning off those extra pounds and working off the decadent, rich french food!
3) Park Workout -Try a park work along the Seine River. You will find some pull up bars and playground to do some pullup and dips, and steps ups and pushups on a bench. On your park workout try some handstands and foam rolling while picnicking in front of the Eiffel Tower.
4) Climb the Eiffel Tower Stairs -If you like climbing stairs, do the Eiffel Tower walk up. Its a great leg pump and adrenaline rush. You will not realize how high you are until you look down and see the giant Roland Garros Ball and the tiny buildings and people. The open air and being held up my metal scaffolding will make you appreciate the grand architectural feat of this epic monument which stands over 300 meters.
4) Roll out sore legs, feet and back in your hotel before or after a long day of touring. If your legs are feeling heavy, tight and immobile, then it could be a good idea to pull out your Travel Roller from your suitcase and roll your calves, quads, hips and back. You will be thankful you did for even 5 mins as it will give you that extra energy and muscular endurance you crave on a daily basis.
5) Rent an apartment to get a kitchenette VS a hotel. Food in Paris is expensive eating out! There are lots of grocery stores you can buy lots of food, with a small kitchenette you can avoid some of the busy restaurants and pack snacks and healthy breakfasts. This will help you from gaining alot of weight while eating out every meal! Remember you are on vacation so ENJOY the delicious food but practice portion control on the baguette!
Enjoy your visit to Paris its a beautiful city. Remember to bring your travel roller and get rolling, stay fit and wear sunscreen!